Whether you are a digital marketer or an aspiring author, you need to make yourself familiar with Long-form writing and Essay writing for professional as well as academic purposes. In order to understand the steps required for effectively writing essays or write-ups, we first need to understand what they actually are.
Going by the name, long-form writing is nothing but writing essays or long essays. The word count can range anywhere between 1,000 and 5,000 words or even higher. Thesis, Memoirs, Research Papers, Long Articles, and Novels are a few examples of long-form writing.
An essay, on the other hand, is a style of writing that revolves around one specific topic. The author puts forward his opinions, arguments, and tries to express his knowledge through the article. An essay would normally talk about a particular issue or problem in a formal way.
An in-depth essay is a great way to attract both brands as well as audiences. Business houses are always on the look-out for content that can be invested in to sponsor or advertise.
These essays can help you in growing your website or business while attracting new users on a daily basis. The word count for every essay may change based on various different factors including the format and policies. Now, it’s time to learn how to write them with the following 8 steps.
8 Steps For Effective Long-form Writing
1) Do intense research – Start by doing research on the topic you wish to cover. For longer write-ups, you will need more research material, so be ready to spend a substantial amount of time researching facts and relevant information.
2) Create an outline – It is extremely important to create an accurate outline that can work as a roadmap. Mention all the topics and sub-topics that you wish to cover and align them in a logical sequence.
3) Follow the correct structure – Every writing style has a format and a structure and you must follow it. For instance, journals have an introduction, abstract, body, keywords, conclusion, reference, etc. Similarly, essays have an introduction, a body, and a concluding paragraph. Choose the best suitable structure before you begin writing.
4) Write a splendid write-up – Now comes the most crucial part of writing. Sit down and start writing the first draft of your write-up. Follow the outline and structure properly. Use proper punctuation, grammar, and vocabulary. Support your argument with examples and statistics. Write a factual and thought-provoking piece.
5) Give real-life examples – One way to keep the readers engaged is to give real-life examples as they are human-interest stories. It makes the write-up well-researched, interesting, and most importantly believable. Give examples that support your argument or thesis statement.
6) Use relevant pictures – Using good-quality images is imperative for a long-form write-up as lengthy text can be unattractive and less-readable to your readers. Add images that support the preceding paragraph and give life to your write-up.
7) Edit your copy – Proofread and edit your write-ups before publication or submission. Make sure that your copy is error-free and properly formatted. Eliminate errors, if any. Look for repetitions and irregularities and fix them.
8) Add references or sources – Most of the academic write-ups require writers to include a reference section or bibliography at the end of the write-up. Include the names and other details of the books, journals, websites, studies, or any other research material that has been used as a reference in the write-up.
Not that difficult, right? It is actually quite easy if you know what to do and how to do it. These 8 steps can definitely help turn you into a professional long-form writing expert.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in